Monday, May 30, 2011

The Recipe Project has begun

This is Chicken Breast Supreme. It is the first dish I tried as I am making my way through the hundreds of main dishes posted on Kelly's blog. This dish is from Kelly. The first four I am trying are her recipes then I will proceed through the posted contributions. This is chicken breasts wrapped in bacon and baked in a sour cream and mushroom sauce. I had actually decided before I even made it that it was not going to be a keeper. That was partially because it is really high in fat, but mostly because it required me to buy meat in a jar. I didn't even know you could buy such a thing and Kelly's helpful hint that it is found near the Spam did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. But as it was baking it smelled SO good. I thought I would reconsider.

Kelly suggested serving it over rice and I really liked the sauce in the rice. But when it came to the chicken I picked off the bacon and dried beef which took most of the sauce and I was just eating a chicken breast. Also, when we got done with the chicken there was SO much sauce left. And we didn't get that many meals out of the chicken.

VERDICT...I won't make this again, but I am going to try to make a slightly healthier version of the sauce and pour it over shredded chicken and rice and make a casserole out of it. Stay tuned for that. If you want the original recipe for Chicken Breast Supreme it is here.

King Ranch Chicken
I didn't take a picture of this one, but I should have because it looked really nice. I have been wanting a good King Ranch recipe. This one was different than what I'm used to because it had a soup base versus a sour cream base. Aaron loved it which was bonus, but it was a little bland for me.

VERDICT...This was fine...nothing wrong with it at all, but it didn't win me over and I'm still looking for a King Ranch Chicken recipe. If you want this one, it is here.

Poppyseed Chicken
This is another recipe I have been wanting a good version of. Kelly didn't say where this originated, but based on the two cups of sour cream and the stick of butter I am guessing Paula Deen! This was good, but it was a little runny to me and I wish it was a little more calorie conscious.

VERDICT...This was good, but I think I'm still in search of a Poppyseed Chicken recipe. If you want this one, it is here.

I will say that one of my favorite recipes came from Kelly's blog. It is Swiss Stuffing Chicken and I have blogged about it before. I think it actually did come for Paula Deen and it is good!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try this King Ranch Chicken recipe from Southern Living next week. Hopefully it's good, because I plan on freezing half of it for when Skittles arrives.

    ReplyDelete