Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Introduction and Egg Casserole

I have been talking about starting a recipe blog all year. As the year is drawing to a close, I think it is about time. I cook every day. I subscribe to a lot of magazines, mostly by virtue of having family members give them to me as gifts. Every month I cut out many recipes and I try them all. I have very strict standards on what becomes 'A Keeper'. Anything that makes it to this blog is easy and family-friendly.

I have been doing this for years and I have quite a collection. Last year I got everything entered into our computer which has made sorting and passing along so easy. I give out my recipes all of the time. Because I do make and try them and make them for others I really know which ones are good to pass on. I know which ones freeze well and which ones are great to take to others. I am frequently asked for quick, easy, good family recipes and I gladly share my collection. I am also asked on a regular basis for the recipe for a dish I brought to an event.

I love this. I know it helps other people and I really enjoy the finding and preparing of new meals. So I will continue to do my research and this blog is a place where I can pass the results on to anyone interested.

I will call my first recipe The One that Started it all. This is not a dish that you would think of as being wildly popular by reading it. It is an egg casserole with no meat in it. I originally made it for a family that has a vegetarian. My Southern Living cookbook assured me that it would be filling enough for the meat lovers. I also made it for my in laws who were coming in the same day I was delivering the meal. Both the woman I took the meal to and my mother-in-law asked for the recipe. They have both since made it many times. I have taken this dish to brunches and I always get asked for the recipe by several guests. It was this recipe that made me think I needed to find a way to share my recipes with others, so now I am.

This is great for brunch, but it also works very well for dinner or lunch with a salad and bread. I know it doesn't sound like much, but I have never had anything but praise. It's also so easy it's crazy.


Mexican Egg Casserole
Category: Main Dishes
Sub Category: Eggs
Source: Southern Living

5 large eggs, beaten
2 T butter, melted
1/4 c flour
½ t baking powder
1 c cottage cheese
2 c shredded monterey jack cheese
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles

1. Beat 1st 4 ingredients at med speed until blended
2. Stir in remaining ingredients
3. Pour into well-greased 9-in pie plate
4. Bake at 400 for 10 min. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 20 min more or until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment