Monday, October 18, 2010

Pictures and Chicken Enchiladas

I made the breakfast casserole of my last post today for MOPS so I took a picture of it.

I also made White Cupcakes from Southern Living's cookbook and decorated them for Halloween.
I tried five new recipes last week and had few keepers. One of my Go To Recipes is Chicken Enchiladas. I probably make this recipe for other people more than any other. It seems to be universally enjoyed. Even kids who claim they don't like Chicken Enchiladas devour them. They also passed my Father-in-law's test and he is an enchilada connoisseur. This recipe is from Cooking Light, so it is a somewhat healthy take on enchiladas. Refreshing, for sure, and they still taste great. I'll be making them for friends later this week so I will take a picture.


Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas
Category: Main Dishes
Sub Category: Chicken
Source: Cooking Light

2 ½ c chopped cooked chicken breast
2 c shredded reduced-fat 4-cheese Mexican
1 2/3 c plain low-fat yogurt
1/3 c butter, melted
¼ c chopped onion
1 t minced garlic
¼ t pepper
1 can reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles
8 (8 in) flour tortillas
½ c finely shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Combine 1st 9 ingredients in a large bowl. Remove 1 cup chicken mixture; set aside.
3. Arrange ½ cup chicken mixture down center of a tortilla. Roll and place seam side down in 13x9 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture. Spread reserved 1 cup mixture over enchiladas. Cover and bake at 350 for 20 min. Uncover; sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts.


Notes: 1. I have used canned chicken instead of cooking and chopping chicken breasts in this recipe. I alternate the two depending on what I have on hand and they both taste fine.

2. I use fat-free plain yogurt and it tastes great.

3. I keep a bag of frozen chopped onion in the freezer. I throw 1/4 c in this recipe still frozen. Works fine and saves time.

4. I have never covered the enchiladas during cooking. I guess I forget, but it hasn't been a problem.

I hope your family enjoys these as much as mine does. They are not spicy at all, so depending on your tastes you may want to lather the final product with salsa!






No comments:

Post a Comment